Sunday, May 16, 2010

Many Meetings on Auditions

Gina Wilhelm Actress - Audition Meetings

This afternoon I met with two friends to talk about auditions and how I can improve my results in them.

My first meeting was with Cyndi Thomsen, who directed me in "A Christmas Story" and was present at my Theatre Puget Sound general audition.

At our meeting, she suggested a variety of things, including meeting with a singing teacher who could find a song that suits me well and isn't likely to be sung by every other actress coming into the room.

She suggested a number of classes, as well as taking something like Zumba or yoga to keep limber and active.

The most important thing she advised was to find monologues and songs that really show who the actor is.

As a director, she's had people come in and obviously audition for a particular role. Those people don't generally get the part. But those who connect to their monologue tend to get the callback and often the role.

She suggested asking onself, "What am I saying to the director?"

Afterwards, I met with Sam Longoria, writer, director, producer, editor, and actor. We wrote an audition monologue together. It's hilarious, and I can guarantee no one else will perform it at my next audition.

Thank you so much to both Cyndi and Sam for your invaluable help!

Gina Wilhelm Actress

No comments: