Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Conclusion of the Audition Saga

Gina Wilhelm Actress

I had my "Jane Eyre" callback last night at Seattle Musical Theatre.

It was a good-if very chilly-audition. I have it on good authority from my friend who's done two shows there that the dressing rooms are frigid. I bet that a space heater is a really poor idea, too. Darn.

There were a ton of people there I know, and a ton more that I've seen in other shows.

The director said up front that they were going to have people read for certain roles; we wouldn't necessarily read for all parts. Then folks would be going home as he was finished with us.

I appreciate this. I've been to 6-hour callbacks, and they're frustrating. It makes me feel like the director actually respects my time, too.

First they had the little Janes go. All really good candidates; I could see any of them in the part. Luckily, there are other children in the show, so maybe the other two will get in.

After that, they had most of the candidates do a big ensemble piece. The music director kept swapping people in and out and listening to the group.

There were only four people there who weren't auditioning for roles that double with ensemble, so they had us pretty much all up there. Then they had some girls read for another role.

Finally, they called up a Mrs. Fairfax candidate. It turns out they wanted me to read that, too. There was a scene, and then they had us learn not one but TWO songs.

The first song was a character piece, sort of pattery, with all sorts of chromatic notes. With lots of counting and syncopation. Ack! It was HARD!

Then we learned another song. This one was a trio. With more counting. So, um, ack again.

They kept changing up the parts this time again. But they had me sing my voice part twice. I was the only one who got to sing that voice part twice.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that I got a call at 5 p.m. today (Well, 4:58)!

I've been cast as Miss Scatcherd (which was the part I sang twice in the trio) and Lady Ingram, who is the mother of Jane's rival. And then I'll be in the ensemble when I'm not playing those.

I have no idea who else is in my show.

The two women who were reading for my daughter are awfully close in age to me. So I'll be acting AND in make up. I get to create two completely different characters that are both older than I am.

I'm very excited. I've wanted to work with this director again since the last show I did with him, and I've wanted to work with this company for a long time.

First rehearsal is this upcoming Monday. I'm sure I'll post more about rehearsals as things occur.

Huzzah!

Gina Wilhelm Actress

No comments: