Tuesday, December 9, 2008

More Adventures in Auditioning

Gina Wilhelm Actress

Today's audition was for the Freehold Theatre studio series show "The Benefits of Chaos." A friend suggested I try out for it.

The show itself will only be 20 minutes, but there will be an interactive tea party before and after, so there will be lots of improv. I'm interested in improv, and I've had some success with it in my Gilbert & Sullivan Society auditions, but I've never Officially Done Improv.

The auditions were yesterday and today. Apparently everyone went yesterday. So I had the director all to myself. Which is good and bad, I imagine. Only I got there a little late (got lost). Which was probably more noticeable since I was the only one coming.

She had me do a speech with a puppet (which will be in the show) and perform my monologue. Apparently the show proper is MOSTLY monologues. And one of the monologue/vignette bits is done with a puppet. Another involves singing.

My parents owned a puppet company when I was little (and before), so we talked about that. The scene with the puppet she gave me to read was two pages long, and she gave me time to work on it.

She had me perform only the first page of the scene. Which was fun, but I had really wanted to do the second page. The performer gets to kiss the puppet (after resisting), and I had worked out how to make him "walk" away.

The first page was more about acting. The second was more about puppetry (At least, that's how I saw it). The director, I'm sure, really wanted to see me act. But I wanted to get my puppet on.

She said she might let us know within the next couple of hours. So, fingers crossed. And once again, stay tuned. There's more to come!

Gina Wilhelm Actress

No comments: